victorian era    
Haight-Ashbury Golden Gate Park The Panhandle The chutes Photo
The initial wave of development came in the form of commercial structures such as hotels, saloons, and restaurants, and was concentrated near the cable car turnaround at the intersection of Haight and Stanyan. As the primary entrance to Golden Gate Park, entrepreneurs were able to make the Haight a primary entertainment destination and the neighborhood rapidly became a popular weekend destination for San Franciscans with such things as the California League Baseball Grounds stadium which opened in 1887, and the Paul Boynton Chute Company's amusement park, located on Haight between Cole and Clayton.
     The Haight’s role as a weekend daytrip destination continued to govern the neighborhood’s economy until the early twentieth century when developers started looking into the possibility of subdividing the area with more single-family homes. These residences were often large, and geared towards the city’s wealthier population - sometimes referred to as San Francisco’s “petit-bourgeoisie.” The Chutes were dismantled around 1900 and after the lake was drained Belvedere Street was extended past Waller to Haight and the land continued to be developed.
     After 1900, more and more three-story flats were being built. The houses in the Haight were often constructed by a small number of developers and contractors who would buy up to a block of land, subdivide it into multiple lots and build identical houses.