Division of Training
San Francisco Fire Department
Division of Training Staging

Chief Postel recalled Assistant Chief Condon and Battalion Chief Da Cunha to duty to staff the staging function, and these officers reported to the Division of Training.

Lieutenant Early L. Davis was already on duty, working with the Fire Services Exam Unit on the entry-level physical agility test, when the recall began.

Upon arrival, Assistant Chief Condon began a recall roster for personnel returning to duty, and organized these members into fire fighting companies composed of one officer and three firefighters. This information was given to Assistant Chief Shaughnessy at Central Fire Alarm Station.

Three articulated motor coaches were special-called from the Municipal Railway and, at 6:20 p.m., Assistant Chief Musante, recalled battalion chief officers Frank Cercos III, David A. Frisella and Tom Ryan were placed in charge of officers and firefighters on one of those coaches.

The motor coach departed 19th and Folsom streets at 6:35 p.m. with the chief officers accompanying 6 captains, 7 lieutenants and 51 firefighters to Oakland.

"Upon arrival at the San Francisco command post," Assistant Chief Musante said, "I contacted [Temporary Assistant Chief] Jack Hickey and split the personnel up and relieved the strike teams."

After the motor coach departed, Assistant Chief Condon responded to Central Fire Alarm Station for a planning meeting with the general staff.

Shortly after 9 p.m., Battalion Chief McGuire, 2 officers and 8 firefighters left for Oakland in the Division of Training van.

The motor coach remained at the San Francisco command post and brought firefighters back to San Francisco at about midnight.

Forty firefighters were standing by at 9 p.m., and at 10:30 p.m. they were detailed to their respective fire stations and kept on standby.

Two additional articulated motor coaches remained on standby until 9:30 p.m.

Battalion Chief Da Cunha said: "I kept the Communication Center updated with the status of recalled personnel throughout the evening. Around 10:30 p.m., Assistant Chief Condon said Chief Postel wanted a debriefing center established, so we began to print up post-incident questionnaires and typed up a sheet of additional questions we wanted to ask.

"Between 11 p.m., and 4 a.m., Assistant Chief Condon, Lt. Early Davis and myself, either debriefed the people in person or by telephone at their stations."

Sometime between 4 and 4:30 a.m., Battalion Chief Da Cunha carried the completed questionnaires to Battalion Chief Torres at Central Fire Alarm Station, and the staging and debriefing functions were deactivated.

Strike Team 1 Operations
Table of Contents