Museum of the City of San Francisco



By Subject

By Year


The Gift Shop

Fifth Street entrance to the U.S. Mint after the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. The area around the building became a refugee village because Superintendent Frank Leach installed two pipes from the Mint's artesian well after the fire to provide fresh water to the homeless.

Today's San Francisco Chronicle building would be just to the left, at Fifth and Mission streets.

Return to Photo Exhibit Page.