the California Diamond Jubilee in full sway, with columns of print filled
daily with historical material, and reminiscences of men and women whose hey-days
were spent in the colorful San Francisco of long ago, it is only natural for
one of the Far Wests oldest magazines to come forward with claims to
fame. The News Letter was established on July 20, 1856, in this city, by Frederick
Marriott, also founder of the Illustrated London News.
after the News Letter was first printed, the telephone was invented by Alexander
Graham Bell, in 1876. In 1878, San Franciscos first telephone instruments
were installed in the News Letter office at Merchant and Montgomery streets,
and in Mr. Marriotts home at the corner of Jones and Lombard streets.
Today, San Francisco has 28.8 telephones for each one hundred inhabitants,
the highest average of any important city in the world. Obviously, the honor
of being the first subscriber is not a small one.
is a barometric indication of national, state and civic development. The
metal threads of Americas telephone lines are now inseparably woven
into the fabric of modern business, professional and industrial life.
buildings have been constructed in San Francisco within the past two
years, the most notable of which are the new one million dollar, six-story
business office and exchange building, at 444 Bush Street, and the recently
completed Graystone Exchange Building, at Bush and Larkin streets. The
most conspicuous structure, however, is the magnificent 26-story, Coast
Division Building of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company now
practically completed and fully occupied. This skyscraper graphically
indicates the trend of business architecture from the ornate and rococo
styles of former years to designs in which simplicity is tempered with
a rugged beauty essentially western in character.
telephone companys Coast Division building stands on the site
of a four-story brick and concrete structure, at 140 New Montgomery
Street, designed by A. A. Cantin, who was associated with the firm
of Miller & Pflueger in planning the present edifice. The old building
housed telephone company General Offices and 600 employees until it
was destroyed in 1906.
new skyscraper contains the telephone companys General Offices
and various departments of the Bay and Coast Divisions, providing
space for 2,000 employees. It houses no operating equipment and
replaces offices formerly located in eight variously situated buildings.
skyscraper is located on the west side of New Montgomery Street,
with a frontage of 160 feet on the latter thoroughfare and a depth
of 147 feet on Minna and Natoma streets. It is L shaped with full
frontage on New Montgomery Street and a wing extending the depth
of the lot on Minna Street. Eventually a wing will be built on
the south side.
interiors are entirely fireproof and are exceptionally well
lighted. Its features include a cafeteria for women employees
and an assembly hall seating 400 people.
The building was started on January 1, 1924.
In erecting this monument to western progress and foresight,
the telephone company brings home a definite realization
of the tremendous importance and extent of our communication
facilities. The initiative and resourcefulness is the same
sort that animated the first publisher of the News Letter
in subscribing for the first telephones in this city, qualities
reinforced by an unbounded faith in the future of San Francisco
San Francisco News Letter
Diamond Jubilee Edition