This unusual photograph appeared in the March 1941 edition of San Francisco Life, a tourist publication that featured restaurants that paid for advertisements in the magazine. The photo was taken at Cathay House, 718 California, at Grant Ave., probably in January or early February 1941.
Diego Rivera (1886-1957) came to San Francisco for the 1940 Golden Gate International Exposition at Treasure Island. His Pan American Unity murals commissioned for the World's Fair are now at the San Francisco City College.
Frida Kahlo (1907-1954), Rivera's third wife, had divorced him, but she came to San Francisco in December 1940, reconciled with the great muralist, and they remarried December 8, 1940.
Cathay House manager John J. Kan, later known simply as "Johnny Kan," founded the famed Kan's Restaurant, at 708 Grant Avenue in Chinatown. Both Cathay House and Kan's were still in business in 2000. The precise relationship of Dr. Layman of Stanford, and Miss Wolff, to Rivera or Kahlo, is not known.