Museum of the City of San Francisco
By Subject
By Year
The Gift Shop

Plumbers, Gas and Steam Fitters’ Union

Plumbers, Gas and Steam Fitters’ Union Local No. 442 held its first meeting after the great fire at 2480 Mission street, in a livery stable, Monday April 23d, with President Kelly in the chair. The union held its second meeting in the same place Sunday, April 29th, when a special committee was appointed to conduct the business of the organization, consisting of John Coefield, chairman; C. Young, T. Deasy, P. Papina and M. Delehanty.

It was decided at the first meeting that all members would volunteer their services on relief work, and in pursuance of this action about five hundred plumbers worked day and night for over a week repairing all broken pipes and stopping waste of water in the unburned district.

It was learned that five members of the union have been lost in the terrible catastrophe, and four-fifths of the members lost their tools. A majority of the plumbers also suffered the loss of their homes and everything they had.

The union has taken action to supply their members with tools and the officers in charge announce that they will have plenty of plumbers to meet all demands, not only on emergency work, but when normal conditions are re-established.

The Headquarters of the union is located at 640 Golden Gate avenue, and the financial Secretary is busy registering members.

Organized Labor
Official Organ of the State and Local Building Trades Councils of California
San Francisco
April 21, 28, and May 5, 1906 [Combined edition].

Return to the 1906 Earthquake and Fire Exhibit.

Return to the top of the page.